Film and Religion

This site contains studies and comments by professors Robert Torry and Paul Flesher about the portrayal and use of religion in film. See their new book, Film and Religion: An Introduction (Abingdon, 2007) for a textbook on this topic.

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Resurrection in SuperStar

The question of the resurrection in Jesus Christ, Superstar seems straightforward. To put it bluntly, there isn't one.

Well, maybe the empty cross at the very end (with the shepherd and his goats walking in front of it) is supposed to be symbolic of a resurrection. But it's a stretch to argue that the empty cross is an empty tomb.

But what is Judas doing, descending from heaven on a cross, dressed in white and spangles, and singing the last rousing number? How should we interpret this?

Is it the resurrection of Judas?

Is it the reception of Judas into heaven?

Or, . . .

9 Comments:

At 1/14/2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want not agree on it. I over polite post. Particularly the designation attracted me to review the whole story.

 
At 1/18/2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good dispatch and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you on your information.

 
At 1/21/2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Opulently I agree but I about the collection should acquire more info then it has.

 
At 3/23/2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well your article helped me terribly much in my college assignment. Hats afar to you dispatch, will look progressive in behalf of more related articles in a jiffy as its anecdote of my favourite question to read.

 
At 2/24/2011, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for this tips

 
At 5/23/2011, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey - I am certainly glad to find this. cool job!

 
At 5/27/2011, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi - I am certainly happy to discover this. Good job!

 
At 7/06/2011, Anonymous Anonymous said...

very interesting, thanks

 
At 8/09/2012, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice job, Thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home